Translation engines and dictionaries are some of the useful tools when we are reading a book in a foreign language. In this article, you will learn several methods to use the translation and dictionary functions in NeoReader.
To translate a word, do the following:
- Long press the word to select it, and the Word Menu will be displayed.
- Swipe left to use the Translate function.
To translate a range of text, do the following:
- Tap and hold the first word, then drag to the last word; or move the drag points to include more text after selecting a word. After that, the Highlights & Underlines Menu will be displayed.
- Tap the Translate button.
To translate a page via the Split View, do the following:
- In NeoReader, tap the center area to display the main menu.
- Choose Split View.
- Choose your preferred Split View mode and tap Translate.
To look up a word in a dictionary, simply long press the word to select it and open the Word Menu from the built-in Dictionary app. Then you can also tap the Web Search button to search for the word on the Internet, tap the Search button to search for it within the file, or tap the Add to Vocabulary Builder button to check it in the built-in Dictionary app.
To add a dictionary to your device, do the following:
- Search and download the dictionary files on your computer.
- Unzip the downloaded files and put them in a folder.
- Sideload the folder to the "dicts" folder in the root directory of your device.
- In Home Screen, go to Apps and open the Dictionary app.
- Tap the hamburger menu in the upper right corner.
- Choose Preferred Dictionary Setting and tick to add the dictionary.
To use a third-party dictionary app in NeoReader, do the following:
- Make sure the app supports a pop-up feature.
- Download and install the app.
- In NeoReader, long press the word to select it, and the Word Menu will be displayed.
- Tap the Third-Party Dict button and choose the app.
Built-in Dictionary App
The built-in Dictionary app offers some essential features either for independent use or for use in NeoReader.
Definition: Here you can look up words with the dictionaries you have added.
Translation: Here you can use translation engines including Onyx, Bing or Google Translate.
Vocabulary Builder: Here you can check and manage all new words that have been added during reading in NeoReader.
Third-Party Dictionary Apps
Since Firmware V3.3.2, the third-party dictionary apps can now be set as a default dictionary. To set the third-party dictionary app as a default dictionary, do the following:
In NeoReader, tap the center area to display the main menu.
Tap the hamburger menu in the top right corner and choose Settings > Dict Settings.
Choose your preferred dictionary app in the Default Dictionary.