I have recently updated my Nova 3 to V3.3.1 (3.3.1_4c98746d8). Thanks for releasing updates for the older devices, however this one is filled with bugs that render the device almost unusable.
One of the main issues is the multitasking screen. When I try to return from it, it is almost always slow and often it gets stuck on an empty white screen. This can usually be resolved by swiping "home" but sometimes I simply have to wait (for 10 seconds or more). Even when it works "normally", the multitasking is quite slow. Switching between apps is uncomfortable and it usually includes several refreshes of the screen.
Today after waking the device from sleep, the navigation gestures simply stopped working. Restart solved it for now, but this never happened in any of the previous versions.
It also seems that at least some of the native apps are stuck in normal mode, even though the system-wide refresh rate is set to speed. Typing in the dictionary app or zooming in the gallery is really sluggish.
The "home" swipe doesn't lead to my set home screen (Apps). Rather it returns to the screen from which the current document was opened. If I open a book from Library, "home" returns me to Library. If I open the book from Storage, it returns me to Storage. I need to swipe again to get to Apps.
After turning on/restarting the device, it always starts in portrait mode. Since I use it almost exclusively in landscape mode, this is quite annoying. The previous versions remembered the orientation of the screen.
After the upgrade, I couldn't open EinkBro from the navigation ball. I had to set the button to another app and then return it to EinkBro to get it work. I have no idea whether it was a one-time event or whether it signals some bigger issues with the navigation ball.
The dictionary app officially supports more formats, which is great. However it doesn't work well. One of my mdx dictionaries that worked OK in the previous version (and in GoldenDict, MDict ...) woks no longer. Some words are fine, but with others, the dictionary gets stuck; it displays "Searching" and nothing happens. Other dictionaries "work", but the search is sometimes problematic. For example looking up "home" returns "home advantage" (in one dictionary). Overall it seems that sometimes it returns the next headword instead of the correct one. And last but not least, it fails to display special characters (including IPA characters), which is a huge issue in a dictionary app. The popup window in Neoreader sometimes displays them and sometimes doesn't, the app itself always shows just rectangels.
I also have problems with using AnkiDroid. As I work through a deck, it consumes more and more memory. At one point the app becomes very slow. If I don't immediately restart it, AnkiDroid gets stuck and the whole device is unresponsive. One time it took five minutes before I could kill the app. I admit that AnkiDroid has issues on other devices as well, but nothing this bad. On the previous versions it worked quite well, it just sometimes failed to load a sound file.
And the last issue (not exactly a bug) is that there is no easy way to mute/unmute the device. The "mute" button mutes the notifications but not media. In the previous versions, hitting the sound icon next to the slider muted the device completely. After unmuting the volume returned to the previous level. Now I have to use the slider to mute/unmute and thus lose the set volume.
I hope that these issues can be sorted out quickly. If not, please provide me with a way to downgrade back to V3.2.4.
Please sign in to leave a comment.